Wednesday 26 September 2012

Shuffling & A Taste of Mexico En Su Casa

I have been pretty immobile with a bad back over the last two weeks, which makes me sound a lot older than my 28 years, so I would like to stress that I'm pushing the 'sports injury' reason apposed to the simple carrying of my four year old nephew on my hip (must remember the art of piggy back rides next time!).  It hurts so much that I haven't left the house in 11 whole days, so it must be the cocktail of drugs I have been taking that has blocked the cabin fever from sprouting its ugly head, although I am starting to get a tad twitchy for fresh air and autumn walks *gazes fondly out of the window*

So, with just myself, the pup and my MacBook Pro for daytime entertainment, I decided to whip up a storm in the kitchen and get some friends around for much needed conversation!  I wanted something quick and easy so I wouldn't be on my feet (aka shuffling) for too long.  So I decided on a new food area for me (to cook anyway, I eat it like a pro!)...Mexican!  You might be shocked to hear that I haven't dabbled in this cuisine before, but I usually head down the Italian or British route when I cook, but I heard Mexican is pretty straight forward and good 'help yourself' entertaining grub, so it ticked all the boxes for a semi-mobile me.      

The Menu

Chicken Fajitas 
Patatas Bravas 
Spicy Rice 
Tomato Salsa 
Guacamole
Grated Cheddar Cheese







Chicken Fajitas for 4

Ingredients

2 red peppers
2 red onions
3 skinless boneless chicken breast
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 small pinch of ground cumin 
2 limes
Olive oil
Black pepper
8 tortillas

Method

1.  Get a griddle pan piping hot
2.  Cut the peppers, onions and chicken in to strips and pop in a bowl together
3.  Add the cumin and paprika
4.  Squeeze over the juice of 1 lime
4.  Drizzle with a lug of olive oil and season with pepper
5.  Mix well and let it rest for 5 - 10 minutes
6.  Pop in the hot griddle for 8-10 minutes until cooked through and place in a serving bowl
7.  Heat the tortillas for a couple of minutes.

Tomato Salsa

Ingredients

1 fresh chilli
20 ripe cherry tomatos
A small bunch of fresh coriander
Black pepper 
1 Lime 
Olive oil


Method

1.  Finely chop the chilli
2.  Chop the tomatoes in to little pieces
3.  Add in the coriander
4.  Add salt and pepper and the juice of 1 lime
5.  Add a good splash of olive oil and stir.

*Grate the cheese as an accompaniment and pop the guacamole in to a serving dish (I was naughty and bought 'store bought' guacamole...and spicy rice for that matter...I was ill!  *excuses)

Patatas Bravas 

Oh I could eat these potatoes all day long!  Here is how quick and simple they are to make.

Ingredients

Potatoes
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves
225g of tinned chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
2 teaspoons of paprika
A good pinch of chilli powder
Pinch of sugar
Chopped fresh parsley

Method

1.  Chop your potatoes in to little cubes, pop them in a roasting tin with a generous lug of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Cook on a high heat for 50 minutes.  But keep checking them and give them an occasional stir.

2.  Fry the chopped onion in a pan until soft

3.  Add in all the other ingredients and bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until pulpy  

4.  Once the potatoes are crispy, place in a serving bowl and pour the 'sauce' over the top

5.  Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.

I hoped this has inspired you to whip up a quick and easy Mexican meal this weekend.  I might just do it again.  

What is your favourite Mexican dish?  


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner





No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear your comments...